Saturday, April 10, 2010

Look at these legs

I had training for races all wrong. It was not quite a year ago when I decided that I wanted to become a runner. This was prompted by my friend wanting me to run a one mile race with her. I remember being so scared that I would finish last. I only had two weeks to train. Each day that I ran I increased my distance. It made sense in my wannabe athlete mind. Add a little distance every time.

To make a long story much shorter, when we got to the race, I was furious that it was a fun run and that it wasn't going to be timed. I talked my friend into running the 5k instead and we did so with ease. Of course, our time was hideous. But who cares? We ran the entire time and we finished.

Two weeks later I injured my foot and my four week running career was over for some time. Anyone can get injured. However, in my commitment to training for a half marathon, I have learned quite a bit and now I know what a fool I was. This may seem like Running 101 to all those intermediate runners, but I learned the hard way. DISCOVERING THE FINISH LINE is about a weekly training schedule that includes a long run, a recovery run, and a speed run. It is only during that distance run that you should add mileage and to be honest, that mileage shouldn't be increased much more than 10% of your run.

There are many components to avoiding injury, but your days of rest are just as integral as your days of running. I have also learned the importance of weight training. The body needs to be surprised with a plethora of activities in addition to running.

I feel strong and that by far is more important than how I look. Though, my legs are rock hard and I love the strength they hold. I see my hamstrings in the mirror and I can't believe it's me. It is also productive that I have lost weight as well as inches. I know this will continue.

Today I ran eight straight miles for my distance run. I think back to before Christmas when you could catch me breathing slightly heavy from walking up the stairs.

I like defying the limitations my body falsely creates. I love being a runner. It is one of the hardest things I have ever done. Yet, it is also simple. I am a runner because I run. I love that.

FIVE WEEKS UNTIL THE HALF MARATHON.

No comments:

Post a Comment