Sunday, April 25, 2010

First Half Marathon Goals

I have exactly three weeks until the half marathon. I can't wait. Well, actually I can. There is more training to be done.

Yesterday I ran 11 miles. That is my farthest distance so far. Everything I have read seems to say that you only have to be able to run 10 miles in order to complete a half marathon; the adrenaline will push you through the remaining 3.1 miles. I believe that is true, but I don't want to rely solely on adrenaline for the last chunk of the race.

I am wondering if I should have a specific time goal. I'm not sure, but for now, here are my "First Half Marathon Goals."

1. Pace myself enough that I don't wish to kill myself for the 2nd half of the race. I am hoping that my death wishes don't kick in until the last few miles.

2. With the exception of water stations, which should take under 30 seconds (I won't rush that), I want to run the entire half marathon.

3. Feel like an athlete.

4. Avoid injury.

5. Be thankful during the race.

6. Have fun.

7. Experience a sense of camaraderie amongst the running culture.

8. Want to run more half marathons.

9. Finish the race.

10. Allow myself to cry when I do.

No comments:

Post a Comment